Thursday, December 12, 2013

SHIMMERING… BEAMING… SHAPING… GOLD!



Today in my final Creative Writing class of the semester, I sat stone still as tears welled up in my eyes and drizzled out their slanted corners. 
Tears! 
In English 218! 
Sniffeling and lump swallowing in the basement of the JFSB where no phone nor laptop go.
.(Awful wifi). 
Seriously SO embarrassing.
 BUT-
I feel fine about it because the pieces of gold my delightful teacher provided me with were seriously earth altering to me. 
I thought maybe some of you would enjoy some shimmering, beaming, shaping, gold yourselves today!

Here are her nuggets of wisdom:

(Or Perhaps it would be better said as: Life Advice)

I take no credit for these

  • Pay attention to the world around you! (get off our phones…guilty!)
    • Never again will I look at a door knob without studying its dents and scratches so that one day, when I am on stage and I am supposed to portray someone closing a door behind them, I can imagine how those marks would feel in my hand and what it would say about the room I was leaving. I will stretch my mind. I will be mindful for my art. I will be mindful so that I can have a stronger appreciation for life.
  • Push the limits!
    • She described this as learning to be more vulnerable! Go against the grain, and against what you feel is comfortable. For me this means letting go of my plans. Being open to new options. It means taking my time. 
  • Deal with the tragic gap or loss.
    • As we have discussed before, our lives are forever riddled with difficulty. She said not to be afraid to share your experiences in our every day conversations, as well as within your art. She described the forced pressure of a bow on top of the strings of a violin making the beautiful music. We need to remember to make beauty out of things that hurt rather than letting them sit inside of us lazy or festering.
  • Embrace Challenge.
    • PUSH OURSELVES! Step up to the plate in every area of our lives. No matter the task, if it is challenging, it will make us better. 
  • Be Wrong.
    • She told a story of taking one a piece she was very proud of writing into a workshop with a very talented, published writer. He held up the white piece of paper in front of everyone and demanded, "What the hell is this?" In that moment she could have been heart broken, but instead she decided to say, "I guess I don't know, what do you think I should do to make it better?" Let's not be afraid of others asking us, "What the hell is this?" Lets be wrong so we can ask new questions that will raise us  to an even higher strength and wisdom. 
  • Just do it!
    • How cliche right? But honestly whatever it is just do it! Talk to that boy, run that marathon, say I love you, audition for that show, write that story, bake that pie, get that degree, play that sport, forgive that friend. You won't get anywhere if you never start moving. 
  • Pray to be the people that uplift.
    • As artists and as people, we have the chance to help the world through what we do and say and perform. Let's always have a prayer in our hearts that our contribution to the world is helpful to others. In a talk by Elder Holland, The Tongue of Angels, he says,
 "So, brothers and sisters, in this long eternal quest to be more like our Savior, may we try to be “perfect” men and women in at least this one way now—by offending not in word, or more positively put, by speaking with a new tongue, the tongue of angels. Our words, like our deeds, should be filled with faith and hope and charity, the three great Christianimperatives so desperately needed in the world today. With such words, spoken under the influence of the Spirit, tears can be dried, hearts can be healed, lives can be elevated, hope can return, confidence can prevail."



I hope my English 218 teacher's wisdom affected you as much as it affected me!

xoxo,

Hay





1 comment: