Tuesday, May 20, 2014

EYE SPY LYME

One of the best days of my nineteen-year-old life was the day I was told I had Lyme disease.

That day was yesterday. 

Now this may seem like the most obscene thing you have ever heard. You might be thinking,"This girl just found out she has a disease that is very difficult to cure and she is jumping for joy?" 

Well...
Heck yes I am! 

As many of you know, about a year and a half ago I became incredibly sick. I could hardly function and my family and I spent a lot of time and money on finding a diagnosis. I have felt hopeless for a very, very long time. I worked with about a zillion doctors that gave me a variety of vague diagnoses that essentially led me no where. My mom and I spent all of our energy studying and learning everything we could about every possible health conflict out there. 

For about two months I thought I had found the solution with a doctor that treated me for multiple system viral infections. I felt well for the first time in over a year. It was heaven, but the peace was short lived. Soon I was feeling miserable again and sank back into my personal worst nightmare. 

As hard as this second round of sickness has been, I have learned a lot. The first ten months of being sick, all I could think about was getting better, and unfortunately my attitude was far less than good. I grew a lot through that experience, but I didn't handle myself with the grace I wish I would have. This time around while it has been just as painful, I have learned a lot. It has been a personal example to me in my own life of Elder Scott's General Conference talk from April, "Spiritual Whirlwinds."

In nature, trees that grow up in a windy environment become stronger. As winds whip around a young sapling, forces inside the tree do two things. First, they stimulate the roots to grow faster and spread farther. Second, the forces in the tree start creating cell structures that actually make the trunk and branches thicker and more flexible to the pressure of the wind. These stronger roots and branches protect the tree from winds that are sure to return.4
You are infinitely more precious to God than a tree. You are His son or His daughter. He made your spirit strong and capable of being resilient to the whirlwinds of life. The whirlwinds in your youth, like the wind against a young tree, can increase your spiritual strength, preparing you for the years ahead.
God has made me stronger, and God always keeps his promises. 
I was made stronger for this second bout of frustration, because I dealt with the first one.

Now this being said, while I was feeling more stable emotionally and spiritually, I was still without a diagnosis and it was incredibly difficult. I read a quote by Russell M Nelson that said: 

"We should not be discouraged or depressed by our shortcomings. No one is without weakness. As part of the divine plan, we are tested to see whether we master weakness or let weakness master us. Proper diagnosis is essential to proper treatment. The Lord gave us this remarkable assurance: “Because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong.” But wishing for strength won’t make us strong. It takes faith and work to shore up a weakened cord of integrity."


Awesome. 
I am aware of my many shortcomings and weaknesses. This includes both those caused by my nature as well as those caused by my current physical circumstances, and the Lord has promised me that he will make those weak things strong. 

But I still needed that gosh darn diagnosis.

Well.....
I FOUND IT!!! 

YAHOOOO!!!!!

The next while of treatment could be hard, and a lot of things are unknown. But with the potential of a light at the end of the tunnel I can do just about anything! 

Unfortunately, I keep hearing about friends with similar health concerns. People going on missions and coming home with unknown conflicts that their blood work can't seem to explain. 

I feel for every one of you. 

My message to you is to not give up until you find a diagnosis. 
No matter how crazy you feel, being healthy is worth it.

I had to laughed out loud when I recently opened a fortune cookie and read:

 "Happiness is found in good health."
 HA! 

Now this isn't totally true....I have had plenty of happy moments over the past year and a half....
but the honest truth is it's a lot easier to live your life when you feel your best. 

As a parting message to help all of you with whatever trial you are experiencing right now, remember the Lords promise found in Mosiah 24:14-15. 

 14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.
 15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.
Here's to taking that awful cough syrup also known as patience to survive our bad days with a little more faith.

Heaven knows that's the lesson of my lifetime,
xoxo
Hay

Here is a link to a story about an Olympic Free Skier and her experience with Lyme Disease. 


3 comments:

  1. Haley, you are beautiful! I'm sorry you've had to go through this, but as you so eloquently pointed out, you have grown through this trial and have become stronger because of it. Thank you so much for sharing such incredible insight. I'll be praying for your full and faster than expected recovery.
    Love you!
    Aunt Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so cute!!

    i am so happy/relieved you found a diagnosis so you can rest your heart!

    you will be in my thoughts and prayers. love you so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You just blew me away with your words, your views and your hope! If only the world, and even myself, were more like you, the earth will truly be a better place to live in. Your experience and wisdom are well beyond your years and you are a beautiful soul in that way. I hope you get well and that you can share more of your story to others too. Let others hear of your happiness! Stay beautiful, Haley!

    Corine Traina @ U.S. Healthworks

    ReplyDelete