Friday, September 5, 2014

"REMEMBER HOW THIS FEELS, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T LAST FOREVER

This week I started into my third year here at BYU.
The first thought that came to my head when I registered this out loud was...

Gross. 

When did I get so old? I swear I am still a freshman.

Apparently not.

(Except I did get lost on campus today so maybe I really am.)

Anyway, I started thinking about how wild it is that time just keeps on moving. It doesn't stop for you to get your bearings or to decide that you have had enough of a single moment in time. And even if it did, we would hardly know what experiences to hold onto until they were over so we'd be in trouble no matter what.

We've all heard the old cliché "live in the moment" about 7,000 times, but really this concept is much easier said than done. A brilliant idea that is rarely applied by any of us. 

I could tell you that I spent 50% of my senior year of high school thinking about college. I could tell you I spent 95% of my freshman year of college thinking about a time when I would be healthy. And when I ask people how their first week of the semester is going nearly 100% said, "Fine, I just gotta get through.... "fill in blank of horrendously miserably class here.

We are all doing it. We are all guilty of joining the growing epidemic of future happiness seekers. 

"When I finish the accounting core"
"When I get a boyfriend"
"When I graduate college"
"When I get married"
"When I have a baby"
"When my baby starts sleeping"
"When I get into my career"
"When I am finally established in my career"
"When I buy a house"
"When"
"When"
"when"
"When"
"When!!!"

I am guilty perpetrator #1
If there was an award for people who were looking ahead for something better, and my last two years were documented, I'd be up onstage thanking the academy right now. 

But I can't help but think that what is happening to me right now is important
I can't help but think that there is potential to miss this
That maybe this very moment is a time I will forever be grateful for and glad I endured. 

EVERY DAY OF OUR LIFE IS IMPORTANT

Whether you are sixteen with mean friends, or twenty-seven with a sleepless baby, or thirty-eight with a disobedient teenager, or 85 and losing some of your dearest friends, you are still living (key word) in a very limited amount of time and you are lucky to be where you are so embrace it rather than trying to escape it. 

In the last General Conference, Garry E. Stevenson gave a talk entitled "Your Four Minutes." 
In the talk he says,

"Dear friends, you are in the midst of an exhilarating journey. In some ways, you are racing down the half-pipe or sled track, and it can be challenging to perform each element or navigate each turn along the way. But remember, you’ve prepared for this for millennia. This is your moment to perform.This is your four minutes! The time is now!"

How can we remember that this is in fact and exhilarating journey. That we were meant to have joy and that we can if we choose to? How can we remember to find JOY IN THE JOURNEY?

I don't know. 

I really don't so if you figure it out HMU.

But for now I think I am going to try my best make life a brilliant adventure every day. To see every set-back as a creative opportunity. And to trust that God has something brilliant planned for my life, and not just for my tomorrow. 

But for my today.

Let's all try our best to graduate from the "Future happiness seekers society,"

and

"Remember how this feels, because it doesn't last forever."

xoxo
Hay Bells


















No comments:

Post a Comment