Monday, October 27, 2014

A GOOD WOMAN FOR A CRISIS


In a favorite book of mine, "The Book Thief," a description of one of the female characters is given that stuck out to me and has stayed with me all this time since reading the book. 
It says:

“An attribute of Rosa Hubermann, she was a good woman for a crisis.”

You might be thinking..... "um... what?"

WELL,

First of all, I loved it because it was a perfect description of my mother. You will never find someone who is more stressed out every time her children step out that front door. (Literally, even now, there is not a time I haven't backed out of the driveway and out of my circle without hearing her voice out the garage door yelling "DON'T SPEED!!)

BUT

I can tell you, when crazy stuff goes down, there is no better person to have on your team. She is calm and reasonable and level headed and GETS. STUFF. DONE.

So after reading this book and making this connection I have kept this in the back of my mind as a beautiful reminder of how lucky I am to have someone who really and truly just has it together in my life. (This is important because if you know me... you know that is certainly something I do not have.)

Then I forgot about it.

Last week in my Doctrine and Covenants class we were assigned some reading on Lucy Mac Smith and throughout the reading I kept hearing the same thing in the back of my head,

"A good woman for a crisis."

As the saints were moving from Waterloo, New York to Kirtland, Ohio, Lucy was in charge of taking eighty of the Saints including children on this journey. It was cold and conditions were difficult, and not everyone had food enough for the trip. Lucy was attentive and giving to all who needed her help and support. When all she could do was done, I laughed out loud to hear the tone of this small woman's voice as she essentially told everyone to "suck it up," and trust in God.

During their journey the canal broke and the water was frozen over, stopping them from progressing in their journey. After some time, people began murmuring and saying how hard it was and how frustrated they were and the girls started flirting with the sailors and pretty much it just became one big mad house. (I mean can you blame them? Cold? Hungry? Two things I am really NOT a fan of!!!!) 

 In response to this Lucy stood up and said....

"Brethren and sisters, we call ourselves Saints and profess to have come out from the world for the purpose of serving God at the expense of all earthly things; and will you, at the very onset, subject the cause of Christ to ridicule by your own unwise and improper conduct? You profess to put your trust in God, then how can you feel to murmur and complain as you do? You are even more unreasonable than the children of Israel were; for here are my sisters pining for their rocking chairs, and brethren from whom I expected firmness and energy declare that they positively believe they shall starve to death before they get to the end of their journey. And why is it so? Have any of you lacked? Have I not set food before you every day, and made you who had not provided for yourselves as welcome as my own children? And even if this were not the case, where is your faith? Where is your confidence in God? Do you not know that all things are in his hands, that he made all things and overrules them? If every Saint here would just lift their desires to him in prayer, that the way might be opened before us, how easy it would be for God to cause the ice to break away, and in a moment's time we could be off on our journey. But how can you expect the Lord to prosper you when you are continually murmuring against him?"

Woah. 

Oops. 

"GOOD WOMAN FOR A CRISIS!"

My sophomore year of high school, one of my lifelong best friends dad passed away. It was fairly abrupt and unexpected, and certainly very very difficult. 

Everyone (including myself) kept saying over and over again,

"You're so strong."
"You're so strong."
"You're so strong."

Finally one day Nessa said to me, "What else am I going to be?" 
In some ways this makes sense. People often tell each other, "You are so strong, I couldn't have endured what you have endured." And right here Ness is essentially letting me know, "If this happened to you, you would HAVE to endure it."

Endure it YES.
Endure it well... OPTIONAL. 

That what made her strong.

It is a DECISION that is often found to be made by "GOOD WOMAN FOR A CRISIS" people.

This doesn't mean things aren't hard, it doesn't mean you can't cry or struggle... this is part of the refining process. But it means that you trust in God enough to know that he will deliver you. That he will take care of you. That he has a plan for you. You seek to have what God wants for you and how he wants you to get there is what you want too. 

Sav just came home from her mission. Holy Moly I AM SO HAPPY!!! And talking with her and learning from her has been more wonderful than I can even tell you. She told me, that after the storm where she had been through so much and was so tired and just wanted her bed and her home for a moment to catch her breath, the spirit told her every morning that she needed to get to work. It was difficult, but she was obedient to her promptings and was healed through service. If she had spent all of her time moping and sitting and not working, she never would have learned all that she had. She needed to be "a good woman for her crisis." 

And that she certainly was.

While Lucy Smith spoke to the saints on the boat she said, 

"Now, brethren and sisters, if you will all of you raise your desires to heaven that the ice may be broken before us, and we be set at liberty to go on our way, as sure as the Lord lives, it shall be done." At that moment a noise was heard like bursting thunder. The captain cried out, "Every man to his post," and the ice parted, leaving barely a pathway for the boat that was so narrow that, as the boat passed through, the buckets were torn with a crash from the waterwheel."

Talk about faith. Talk about trust. Talk about a woman who KNOWS what she is doing.

I wanna meet that sassy thing one day and tell her how darn cool I think she is!

I am grateful for the "Good women for a crisis," people I have in my life. 

Lets all try our best to be this way.

The goal is to be like Rosa Hubbermann (minus the profanities) 

And Lucy Smith (no, ya all of her)

And Mamma Hilton

and you

and you

and you

xoxo
Hay




Also there was a Harry Potter that Beth and Andrew threw that was amazing and blew my mind so....
ya pictures needed to be shared!!!!











Ben and Sam it's official... ya'll made the blog!
















No comments:

Post a Comment