Sunday, December 21, 2014

THE GIFT

Man alive it has been quite some time since I last posted!

So sorry,
Finals had me feeling like I was drinking water through a firehose cramming for test after test YUCK! 

Thank goodness I get a few weeks break dedicated entirely to catching up on sleep and binge watching Netflix......

I've missed those two old friends of mine far too much!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Alright alright I am kidding, 
while I truly have missed my daily West Wing fix.... in all honesty
 I REALLY I could not be happier to be home with my wonderful family to celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ!

 What a magical time of year it has been!
(minus the whole no snow yet thing)

But it is every year of course!!!!
(Magical, I mean.)

This year in particular I have been trying to pull apart the words we so often spit out during the Holidays. I've been working at dissecting their insides. I've wanted to discover what people are actually talking about when they teach me to discover...

"The True meaning of Christmas."
(Que quotes from every classic Christmas movie ever made.)


Because you see, I've spat out "Merry Christmas!" and sang "Silent Night," every year without ever really pondering what the words were trying to tell me. I'd let the script thoughtlessly roll off of my tongue (terribly off pitch by the way) while the room filled with that wonderful Christmas feeling. It seems that "feeling," may have been born in my mind more from tradition than from actual understanding. 

Of course I have learned and understood in the past that giving is better than getting, and that this season truly can bring out the best in all of us, but there was something this year in particular that had me believing to my bones what Christmas is about. 

It is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint's, "Share the Gift," campaign video.

I have watched this movie six times now and it still brings me to tears. 

What a wonderful reminder it has been for me to recognize that HE is the gift. 

That his promise to be there through hard times, to bear our burdens and to take our sins upon him is our greatest gift. It is a gift we cannot simply hold onto. It gives and gives and gives forever more. And we need to be the vessels that transfer it from heart to heart. Sharing what we know will bring the kind of peace a gift wrapped in a box can't give. 

A particularly powerful image for me is when it shows a man dropping to his knees with the words, "Embrace the Gift," next to it. 
I think it means so much to me because for those of us who have tasted of the gospel, it is a moment that is relatable and familiar.

The moment where all other sources cease to make us whole. Where our knees reach for the ground with speed and fervor, no longer able to wait another minute before feeling God's comfort. 

Our own gethsemane is where we spread our arms out through gasping breaths and reach to physically embrace the Savior of the world. 


We NEED this gift. 
The world NEEDS this gift.
We are challenged to share this gift. 

So here I am, weeks after first seeing the video, finally using one of my opportunities to officially share my testimony of The Gift with you. And from there I hope you share the gift with someone else as well.


The true meaning of Christmas is a universal blessing to each and everyone of us. 
May we remember it this year.

Discover the gift, embrace the gift, share the gift. 
xoxo
Hay Bells

"Christmas means giving-and "the gift without the giver is bare" Giving of self, giving of substance giving of heart and mind and strength in assisting those in need and in spreading the cause of His eternal truth- these are the very essence of the true spirit of Christmas." -Gordon B. Hinckley 

PS.... here are some pictures of my life these days! Merry Christmas!



















   






 














No comments:

Post a Comment