Wednesday, December 16, 2015

"You're Doing Better Than You Think You Are."


I had one of those weeks where I was pretty hard on myself. I was having a tough time feeling the spirit and was feeling a lull in the progression of my testimony. I attributed this to my not doing all that I could to live like my Savior. I wasn't serving enough, I wasn't sharing my testimony enough, and I certainly wasn't balancing the things in my life well enough. I just wasn't feeling like I was being who my Heavenly Father needed me to be. I wasn't. And really I need to be doing much better.

BUT

Somehow these feelings of inadequacy provided a perfect opportunity for learning. As I cried to Savannah about how frustrated I was with the "sub-par" version of Haley Ann Hilton I was being, she let me know she had been feeling the exact same way.

Now, if you know Savannah, you are rolling your eyes right now. The girl is the embodiment of goodness.

Literally.

She is constantly serving and constantly seeking ways to invite the spirit into her life. I couldn't imagine how she could be feeling the way I was feeling at that time. This is where we came to conclusion 1:

It is much easier to see the light in others than it is to see the light within ourselves.

I could see the good Sav was doing in the world, but I couldn't see even a small amount of good I might be doing. Somehow she felt the exact same way. If YOU are feeling this way, STOP IT. Because odds are, if I talked to you, I would tell you you are rocking life. As Uchtdorf says, "You are doing better than you think you are."

The first of the "Be Attitudes" in 3rd Nephi says, "Yea, blessed are the poor in spirit who come unto me, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Being poor in spirit is the first step on the pathway back to to God. We need to be humbled in order to seek repentance. 

If you are feeling like you aren't living up to everything you hope to be, trust that being poor in spirit is essential to you reaching that exact potential you are feeling separated from. 

When we are struggling with this we should remember that constant repentance is the biggest thing that will help us feel the love of our Heavenly Father, and that love is what we need to feel most in times like these.

I heard a quote from President Eyring today that said, "The Lord smiles upon you. You're trying to do the right things. All you need is a little bit more help from Him."

Let's all try to remember this on the days when we feel we are farthest from our best. 

You're okay. I'm okay. We all have room to grow. But the very fact that we are concerned about improvement shows that we are on the right road. 

Hang in there.

Xoxo,
Hay 


No comments:

Post a Comment