Sunday, January 17, 2016

Pick A Cause, Any Cause!

This picture has nothing to do with this blogpost, but congrats on your engagement Ness!

Go. Do.

These words have been playing over and over again in my head for the past couple of months.

Just after the attacks on Paris, Sav and I were talking about what had happened, and she said something that I had heard quite a few times following the horrendous events. It was something along the lines of, "Paris is getting all of this attention by the media right now, but have you heard about what is going on around the rest of the world??"

I thought about this for a minute, and then realized, "You're totally right, the rest of the world is in shambles and needs our attention, but doesn't Paris need us to?"

This lead to me thinking of various conflicts around the world and how desperately they could all use our help. The trouble is, because I am just one person, there is no way I could change the world on my own. I couldn't even make a small difference. There are just too many terrible injustices occurring.

So what do we do then? Just sit comfortably in our lives and hope that other people are going to be ok?

Feeling bad isn't enough.

We have been called to comfort those who stand in need of comfort and mourn with those that mourn. The call is not a call to simply meditate, it is a call to action.

What if each of us picked just one cause today. Certainly we can add more to our list as the years move forward and our skills and abilities morph. But what if today I decided that I can't stand to hear about one more unconscionable act of selling someone into sex slavery. So tomorrow I call Underground Railroad and ask them if I can volunteer.

From there it grows. A lifetime devoted to ending sex slavery. I'll be pursuing my own interests and raising my own family and being my own person, and all the while I will be standing up for what I believe in, and trying to make a difference.

There are so many things that each of us can do to help those who are suffering. Instead of getting overwhelmed by them all, lets pick one, and then do our Heavenly Father proud.

Hold me accountable on this one.

We all need to make a difference.

My personal journey is changing the dialogue surrounding chronic illness, and helping those who suffer from it find peace. My cause is to help cure lyme disease.

I'll add onto it one day, but today this is something I know I can do.

What can you do?

Let's get going.

xoxo,
Hay

Action Against Hunger
Underground Railroad
American Refugee Comity International
Animal Welfare Institute
Boys and Girls Clubs of America
Boys Town
The Carter Center
Chronic Disease Fund
Conservation Fund
Direct Relief International
Half the Sky Movement

    

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Hay!

    If we try to split our focus too much, we won't be as effective as we will if we focus on one thing at a time.

    I'm a wife and mother, but my cause is to help women feel beautiful and confident from the inside out through health, fitness, and beauty. There's not a lot more powerful than a confident, driven woman - and we need more of them!

    Thanks for being a shining example to everyone. Love you!

    ReplyDelete