Monday, August 22, 2016

It's always good timing.


I feel like timing is one of those things that is a universal stresser. Whatever your culture or life experience, if things aren't following standard timing.... you're probably feeling some inner mayhem.

We're all looking around us, starving for someone who is living life at our same rhythm to make us feel ok with how things are going.

"Well they took five years to graduate so it's ok."
"Well they waited five years to have kids so I'm good for at least another two more."
"Well they didn't get their first grammy til twenty-six so I'm still chillin'."
"Shoot, she won the gold medal at sixteen??"
I HATE MYSELF!!!!!

As you can see, from personal experience, I have come to realize that this is a serious issue.

I genuinely believe that we do ourselves a great disservice, when we set up specific parameters around the timing of our lives. These parameters generally run around group think. Group think is not Heavenly Father think. And when we veer from him... we're in trouble.

When we miss a timing mark in our life, we might be tempted to be heartbroken over our circumstances. The irony of this is that half the time our circumstances are wonderful, we just expected them to be wonderful at a different time and place. 

Say you're in your third year of college and you have no idea what you want to do with your life. I say make the most of it! You have the luxury of continuing to explore your options. Major in what you love and then remember that there is always graduate school. The years of study may bring the clarity you need to find your calling in life. You'll figure it out eventually. <-- if this feels like a total lie... it may be. But won't you be happier believing it anyway?

Say you got home from your mission five months ago and you aren't already engaged... calm the heck down! But really if any of us are single for longer than the amount of time we had planned on, don't worry. Don't be depressed. Live the heck out of being a twenty something-year-old. Travel. Pursue your dream of all dream careers. Don't sit motionless waiting around for your life to begin. If that relationship were to never come, what will you have made out of the life the Lord gave you?

If you're like me you might be worried you won't have time to do ALLLLL the crazy things you have always hoped to do in your life. (DING! DING! DING!) I feel like we should try to remember we've got a lot of years left to live. We should use this desire to REALLY do something! We should set goals and organize our time so that we aren't limited to just one thing. The Lord can do a lot with our time if we trust in Him.

We should decide that we will never feel bad about the circumstances we are in when it comes to timing. (haha I am terrible at this so far. But I think it might be like a muscle! The more we use it the stronger it is.) There is no one right timing to be followed in life. Everyones should be different for their specific role the Lord would like them to play. If we keep our hearts so convinced that there is a one-size-fits-all timing, we will fail to recognize the opportunities around us. 

I will be the first to tell you that life is riddled with unbearable challenges that I wish would go away at this very moment. Or things that I feel like I NEED to have happen RIGHT NOW! But because I don't control the timing, I am deciding to take charge of what I can control. What am I going to do with what God has allotted me with today?

At every age and at every stage, there is something to be outrageously excited about. There is someone who wishes they could be doing what we are doing. Let's seize the wonderful that is in front of us and make it our own. Because the truth is, it's always good timing. 
xoxo,
Hay








1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I don't even know how I randomly stumbled upon your blog, but I found your post on patriarchal blessings and decided to read it. Then I thought I'd read some other posts because you had mentioned the 'lyme' stage of your life. The funny thing is I came for a totally unrelated post but I have had major health issues as well. I've had gut-related issues for the past 3 years (I'm 25) and I've been struggling with many of the same psychological pains as you although our physical symptoms are much different. I've been bounced between confused doctors who would say things like.. well some bodies just have issues! I was like you- perfectly healthy and robust and had big goals then bam!- sick out of nowhere. I look fine to anyone who sees me but I'm barely scraping by on the inside. Finally I have hope now that I may have a diagnosis but I've been really struggling with holding on to hope and trusting in God's timing. I've become obsessive over my health and as hard as I try I can't seem to be able to enjoy the life and blessings that I do have (and I really have been so blessed) . So anyway, I've rambled- but thanks for your posts. It's nice to know I'm not the only one going through this even though I wouldn't wish something like this on anyone. I wish you all the best and I know we'll both overcome our battles no matter how long it might take or how many setbacks we may encounter!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete