Saturday, November 26, 2016

That's Life

I have this really great dad.

Like really great. 

While I was growing up I used to hate to do my homework, and that really great dad would help me with it. Much to my chagrin, he would never give me the answers when I asked for them. He would always insist that I work through the problems the right way. I mean who did he think he was? Expecting his child to be honest in order to actually learn something? HONESTLY??

Haha ok ok I'm done.

After every frustrating homework experience we had together, he would say to me, "Haley, you need to learn to love to learn."

I would roll my eyes and say, "Ya ya, whatever you say dad."

Learning is difficult. It requires sacrifice and more often than not it will lead to frustration. The very nature of it is not meant to be easy. It is meant to challenge us. For little Haley, I couldn't understand why something so difficult could ever bring me joy. If I was uncomfortable doing it, odds were good that I wasn't going to enjoy it.

Somewhere along the way though, his lesson sunk in! Now here I am. Approaching finals week at BYU. Stressed out of my mind. And loving it. 

I am LOVING what I am learning. Seriously. I am so proud to be a student!!!

But learning isn't what I am here to talk to you about today. I have discovered that the lesson my dad taught me during homework sessions growing up were much less about learning, and far more about life.

Life in general is difficult. We will have to make big sacrifices and be faced with frustration nearly every day until we die. In coming to earth we entered a world of suffering. Wherever your pains fall on the spectrum of difficulty, life isn't easy for anyone.

Because of how difficult it is, I think it can be easy to have a poor me attitude through life.

Sincerely we are busy, and honestly we are tired, and truly the challenges never seem to stop. But if we take my Dad's advice, and learn to love to live. We will be able to find joy in everything.

I watch my Dad deal with large challenges every day, and somehow he never seems to be too down on himself. In fact, he seems to be invigorated by the struggle. He is inspired by the opportunity to overcome. He is truly a wonderful example.

When it comes down to it, most of us are going to spend a lot of our lives just WAY too busy. We will spend most days tired. We will all get sick (some more than others.) We will have to do things we don't want to do. We will have our feelings hurt. And sometimes we will be completely shattered.

But that's life.

In the most magical way possible.

So let's take Scott Hilton's example and choose to be invigorated by our difficulties.

Life will be that much sweeter.

And we will learn to love to live.

xoxo
Hay


No comments:

Post a Comment