Thursday, December 29, 2016

Open Your Eyes


"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."

This sentence can be found on page 264 of Anthony Doerr's "All the Light we cannot See."

I read it this afternoon and ever since, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It has been pulsating in my brain and pulling at my chest. If I don't learn to open my eyes now. If I don't strive to see today, someday I will be blinded forever. Confined to my own ideas. Unable to accept and learn about the opinions of someone else.

There is something important about youth. While there is a wisdom we don't have there is an openness that we can cultivate before our opinions are pulled and prodded by our obligations to a party, or a person, or an institution. When we are young, for a very brief moment, we have the opportunity to try to see without an entirely obstructed view.

In 2016 the shudders on many of our wide eyes were were pulled down further than they were before. Many of our opinions were more solidified, and the opinions of others seemed to be more ridiculous or even worse, dangerous. We began the blackout process.

Many people decided that facts were no longer relevant. That they did not need to do the research necessary to make informed decisions. That they could take the opinions of their parents, or their party's most beloved commentators for truth. Rather than choosing who to vote for based on policy or decency, they chose based on whether or not their candidate had knighted themselves as "liberal" or "conservative."

As though the affiliation with one will lead you closer to Heavenly glory while affiliation with another will lead you toward hell and damnation. (Where you stand on the spectrum of "left to right," will decide which description you assign to which party. You may be surprised to know that the person who will read this after you disagrees with you wholeheartedly.)

If you are reading this, I am talking about myself as much as I am talking about you. None of us are exempt from blinding our own eyes. None of us is guiltless of closing ourselves off to the opinions of others.

In fact my brother literally called me out on doing this exact thing this week. I am guilty as charged. But I am committed to working on it.

There is such a thing as right and wrong. And we ourselves don't always get it right. Let's open our eyes to the possibility of being incorrect. Let's choose to go outside of our echo chamber's in 2017. Let's learn about the intricate world beyond our own. Let's believe it is possible, to think more brilliantly than we already have. Let's get back to the facts.

"Open your eyes and see what you can with them before they close forever."
Let's not let 2016 be the year it all went black for us.

xoxo,
Haley


1 comment:

  1. It's here! All the Light We Cannot See: A Novel Audio Book is officially available on AudioBooksNow.

    ReplyDelete